And the nominees for Best Picture are:
- Avatar” James Cameron and Jon Landau, Producers
- “The Blind Side” Gil Netter, Andrew A. Kosove and Broderick Johnson, Producers
- “District 9” Peter Jackson and Carolynne Cunningham, Producers
- “An Education” Finola Dwyer and Amanda Posey, Producers
- “The Hurt Locker” Kathryn Bigelow, Mark Boal, Nicolas Chartier and Greg Shapiro, Producers
- “Inglourious Basterds” Lawrence Bender, Producer
- “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire” Lee Daniels, Sarah Siegel-Magness and Gary Magness, Producers
- “A Serious Man” Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, Producers
- “Up” Jonas Rivera, Producer
- “Up in the Air” Daniel Dubiecki, Ivan Reitman and Jason Reitman, Producers
Our money is on the Hurt Locker, it was a hard choice Precious is a serious contender too, we like both very much.
For those films with NZ twist: Avatar's story is that of the indigenous Americans and has been told before but this time there are confusing NZ icons and Chinese Islands. It's great to see District 9 up there though, 'Alien' adaptation issues: belonging, social inclusion and tolerance for those who are different is something that will strike a chord with the diaspora of many countries currently suffering from the effects of racism and xenophobia.
See Also: 'The Cove wins best documentary' Link
Today's posts - click here