Another elderly person has been beaten-up in a home invasion in New Zealand, this time in The Avenues, Tauranga, a town that is popular with retired people.
Police were called to the man’s home by a concerned relative. He is thought to be in his 80s, and has serious head injuries. He was taken to hospital today where he is now said to be in a critical condition. We wish him well and hope he makes a full recovery.
Two weeks ago a 93 year old grandmother, Gwendoline Samson, was attacked in her home in Papakura, but fortunately she managed to successfully fight off her assailant without suffering any major injuries but it was the second time she’d suffered such an assault.
Police have yet to catch the thugs who smashed the face of another Tauranga grandmother. 65 Year old Mary Loader was severely injured when a half full beer bottle was thrown at her from a passing car one morning. She was out picking fruit at the time and the attack was completely unprovoked. See Tauranga grandmother in coma after bottle attack.
Later news reports are that the injured man has died and a man has been arrested in connection with his death. A homicide investigation is currently underway, read more here. Our deepest condolences go out to the victim's wife and family.
We’ve said before that one may judge the character of a society by how it treats the weak, the vulnerable, the most easily forgotten. Abuse of the young and the old is widespread in NZ and may not be such a great place for older people to retire in. Other recent attacks on elderly people include:
- A Racist attack on elderly man in Hastings
- Gaynor Alice White, 62, battered to death with a hammer by an intruder in her home in Parkland, Christchurch
- A 72 year old man left shaken and bruised after being robbed at gunpoint at his home in Beerescourt Rd Road, Hamilton
- An 82 year old woman kidnapped and robbed whilst shopping on W.Tamaki Road, Auckland
- Grandmother Barabara Julian, battered to death by an intruder in her Kaitaia home
- Lois Dear, 66, murdered and sexually assulted in her classroom at Tokoroa primary school
- An elderly woman was physically and sexually assulted in her Eltham home
- Retired teacher John Rowe, murdered by two teenage girls in his Opotiki home
- An 83 year old woman who was assaulted and her home set fire to in Howick
- An elderly couple who were hopsitalized after a home invasion in New Plymouth
- An elderly man kicked to the ground and assaulted by a truck driver in Manukau
- An 85 year old man badly beaten during a home invasion at his Bethesda Village retirement home in Wiri.
- 86 year old Patricia Burrows was left with a fractured pelvis, cuts and bruises after she was mugged in a Christchurch shopping mall
- Yin Ping Yang, 80, died following a savage attack during a home invasion in Manurewa East that lasted for several hours.
- A 99 year old woman who was sexually assaulted in her Palmerston North home and died in hospital
Today's posts - click here