Christchurch, the city keen to keep itself out of contention for the title of the nation's Murder Capital suffered another death last night, thought to be the sixth this year.
View Larger Map of Burrows Place, Christchurch
Police were called to Burrows Place in the suburb of Ilam at around 6.15pm and found a seriously injured woman and the body of a man. A homicide investigation is now to be underway and police are said to be searching for the husband of the woman who was injured.
In a bizarre coincidence yesterday another Christchurch man accused of murder was granted leave to apply for 'electronic bail' despite police opposition to him being allowed conventional bail.
Baz Michael Edmonds, 39, is presently charged with murder and assault by stabbing after the death of Andre de la Mare in Olliviers Rd, Phillipstown, on August 25. He is also charged with the cultivation of cannabis. It will take around 15 days for his application to be decided on. Can anything be gained by allowing this man back into the community, even with a tag, and why aren't police views on his release being taken more seriously? It's hardly going to act as a deterrent to others.
Even when they're handed down murder sentences in New Zealand are notoriously light in comparison to other countries. Even 'life' sentences for the most shocking and brutal cases of homicide seldom have non-parole periods greater than 18 years.
Christchurch has suffered a spate of violent deaths in recent times which include 4 people under the age of 18:
* 2 women recently found buried beneath a house in Wainoni
* Mellory Manning beaten, stabbed, stangled and dumped in the Avon River
* Andre James De la Mare died after being stabbed in Phillipstown
* Tala Seleni, 55, and Melissa Nina Adcock, 32, were found dead from gunshot wounds in a Linwood council flat
* Timothy Constable died from stab wounds on a Christchurch street
* 15 year old Marie Davis raped and murdered by a convicted rapist
* 16-year-old Sean Martin William Philip Finnerty-Gallagher bashed and died in Christchurch
* Deaf woman Emma Agnew, murdered and dumped in Spencer Park
* Taxi driver Abdulrahman Ikhtiari stabbed to death in central Christhchurch.
* Kerry Leigh Downey, 52, strangled and dumped on the Port Hills
* Lipine Sila deliberately drove into a crowd of partygoers, killed two young girls Hannah Rossiter (16) and Jane Young (16) and badly injured eight others